Tehri - A comfort food from Uttar Pradesh
October 11, 2021
Tehri is synonymous to comfort food in Uttar Pradesh. My husband can literally survive on Tehri for months. And why not? It is a one pot meal, which gets ready in no time, is packed full of nutrients and is extraordinarily delicious. Tehri is our go to meal for weekdays when we are in a hurry, and on weekends when we are all cozied up in the couch and crave for homemade delicious food without putting in much effort.
Tehri is a close relative to Biriyani and Pulao, but requires so much less time to prepare. It is basically a one pot meal cooked with different vegetables (you may use any vegetables of your choice) and a few different aromatics (like bayleaf, garam masala) and the end result is extremely delicious. Top it up with some ghee, add some pickle on the side and enjoy it with roasted papad.
So, next time you crave for some aromatic rice, you know where to land. The detailed youtube video is also linked below. Do give this recipe a try and let us know how you like it.
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 medium onion (finely sliced)
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 medium potato (roughly diced)
- 1 cup Soya chunks
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1.5 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- Ghee (as per taste)
- Coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Add the mustard oil to a pressure cooker.
- Temper the oil with bay leaves, red chillies and cumin seeds.
- Add the ginger-garlic and the sliced onions.
- When the onion turns golden brown, add the cauliflower florets and the potatoes.
- Add the red chilli powder and the turmeric powder and fry it for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Add the soya chunks (pre-soaked in water for 30 minutes) and the peas and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the garam masala.
- Add the washed rice, fry it for 2 minutes and add the water.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, top up the Tehri with Ghee.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves. Serve it with pickle, salad and roasted papad.
Like this Post? Please follow and like us for more 🙂