Prawn Fritters - A crunchy delight
November 15, 2018
When you hear the word “fritters”, what comes to your mind?
Being part of a Bengali household, I have grown up feeding upon different forms of fritters – some usual ones and some very weird ones. Fritters made out of the usual vegetables – potato, cauliflower, cabbage, capsicum is quite a common practice. But there are unusual ones as well. Have you heard about fritters made out of potato skin? No, right. Well, we gulp on that as well 🙂 I guess we love food so much that we don’t want to miss out on anything. And trust me, the potato skin tastes yummy as well.
Now coming to today’s preparation. I am pretty sure you would have come across tiny little prawns in the market. They are most often the neglected ones, sitting on one corner of the shelf, when everyone goes for the big jumbo prawns. But I have always loved these smaller ones. They have an unusual crunchiness which can never be met by the jumbo prawns.
And these little bites can beat any other snack I bet. Its crunchy, spicy and delicious, all at once. And the best part is that it’s prepared in less than 10 minutes. So, let’s go over the recipe and start munching.
- 250 gms small prawns
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 quantity medium onion (finely chopped)
- 3 quantity green chillies (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup bengal gram flour (besan)
- Salt as required
- Make a batter out of the gram flour, rice flour, turmeric, red chilli powder and salt. The addition of rice flour gives crunchiness to the fritters.
- Next, finely chop the onion, coriander leaves and the green chillies.
- Make a mixture out of the prawns, the batter and the chopped onion, coriander leaves and chillies.
- Add water (if required) to form the batter.
- Make flat oval-shaped fritters out of the mixture and deep fry them.
Like this Post? Please follow and like us for more 🙂