Kolkata style Egg-Chicken roll with a cheesy twist
December 10, 2018
Who doesn’t love street food, right? I see that the awareness towards healthier food options have increased drastically over the past few years. But I am sure everyone in their teenage years have indulged graciously over street food. I have spent most of my childhood drooling over panipuri and rolls amongst various other street food options. It used to be a mandatory attendance in front of the panipuri stalls after school. Happiness, in those days, used to be winning a free panipuri from the panipuri uncle. Even though my mom used to be very strict about not consuming a lot of street food, I used to somehow convince my dad to get me some egg rolls from the nearby stalls. This used to work only under one condition, that I will not skip dinner after eating all the junk food. And this deal between me and my dad continued for years. I guess everyone will have such joyous childhood memories.
And then I grew up and finally understood all the things my mother was right about. Nowadays when I go home, I mostly resort to all of my mom’s home cooked food, with only limited number of street food breaks. But I have come up with a healthier alternative to one of my best childhood memories here – the famous egg roll. I tweaked the recipe a bit here and there and came up with a healthier alternative. And it still tastes like the same “good old egg roll” which I grew up with.
There are different versions of rolls which I have tried over the years. But, what makes this one different is the use of all fresh ingredients – the onions, chillies and the cucumber. They add a significant amount of crunchiness and freshness to the dish. The original street style roll doesn’t use cheese and mayo in it, but I wanted to add another creamy dimension to it, and decided to add those as well. Together I had an unusual combination of crunchiness from the veggies, tanginess from the lemon, creaminess from the cheese and mayo, and trust me it ended being a mouthful of happiness.
If you happen to try this one out, do let me know how it turned out for you in the comments section below. And if nostalgia kicked in for you as well, share with me your fondest food memories as well.
Kolkata chicken roll with a cheesy twist
- 10 pieces chicken cubes
- 1 tsp curd
- 1 tsp chicken masala
- 0.5 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 quantity medium onion
- 0.5 quantity capsicum
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- Salt as required
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 quantity eggs
- 0.5 quantity cucumber
- 1 tsp green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp grated cheese
- 1 tsp coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the chicken filling:
- Marinate the chicken cubes with curd, chicken masala, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt for an hour.
- Finely chop some onions and capsicum.
- Pour cooking oil on a frying pan and saute the onions until they become translucent.
- Add the chopped capsicum and fry for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the marinated chicken and fry it until cooked.
For the bread:
- Knead the wheat flour with salt, some oil and water. I use wheat here instead of the usual maida (all purpose flour).
- Make round shaped balls and roll it evenly to make flat-breads.
- Use butter and lightly fry the flatbreads.
- Next, brush the pan with some butter. Whisk an egg into a bowl and add it to the pan.
- Quickly add the flat-bread on top of the egg spread and let the egg cook. Here, you have the wrap for the filling.
Assembling the roll:
- Finely chop the green chillies, onion and cucumber.
- Diametrically assemble the chopped veggies and the chicken filling onto the wrap.
- Add some tomato sauce, chilli sauce, lemon juice, grated cheese and mayo. Top it off with some coriander leaves.
- Make a roll with the wrap and the filling inside. The delicious chicken roll is ready.
Like this Post? Please follow and like us for more 🙂