Daab Payesh - Tender Coconut Kheer
December 28, 2018
Looking for a different yet delicious Kheer recipe? Well, you are exactly in the right place. This is my take on “Kheer” using tender coconuts. The best part of this dish is that it requires minimal time, effort and ingredients. I have made my own khoya, but store-bought khoya can be used as well. This will reduce the cooking time to under 15 minutes and I am pretty sure will be a delight for all those who usually resort to quick recipes. This dish tastes better when rested for a while, preferably for 24 hours.
I have been introduced to the big huge world of tender coconut by Naturals Ice-cream. I can’t tell you how much I love them. I love how little pieces of tender coconut delights you, when you have the ice-cream. And my affection continued for years. Until I got introduced to a “kheer version of tender coconut” by a restaurant in Pune. It pleased me so much that I have traveled 25 kms to that particular restaurant multiple times just to have a bowl of it. And then one particular time I was craving for it so much, put in immense efforts, but still could not get my hands on it.
This is the time when the cook inside me kicked in and I decided to get my hands dirty. I tried to surf through the internet to get this particular version of kheer, but all efforts went in vain. Next, I went through the restaurant’s menu to find some clues, but failed miserably again. The menu said that this is a must-try dish and is their own invention. All disappointed, I called up my cousin, explained to her how it tastes and we brainstormed together the contents and the preparation of the dish. And 5 minutes later, we came up with this one right here.
Don’t get disheartened seeing the number of ingredients in the dish. I surely had a lot many ingredients in mind when I starter preparing it. But finally after trimming off all loose ends, this one seemed just perfect. And I tell you, this is so much better than the restaurant version I had. Its such a proud moment for me and I am so glad that I don’t have to go kheer hunting ever again 🙂
Daab Payesh - Coconut Kheer
- 1 litre milk
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup tender coconut flesh
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
For preparing Khoya:
- Pour half liter of milk in a thick bottomed and a deep pan. This is to ensure that the milk doesn't get burnt or browned at the bottom nor does it spill from the pan.
- Bring the milk to a boil first and then lower the flame and let it simmer. Stir at intervals and scrap the milk solids from the side of the pan back to the milk. Sometimes you will notice a layer forming at the top of the milk with small bubbles in it. It's very important to stir and scrap the milk then.
- Finally when the milk has reduces to a substantial amount, you will notice big big bubbles forming in the milk and the water to solid ratio would have substantially reduced. Keep on stirring continuously until the bubbles have almost diminished and you have a solid block of Khoya. Keep it aside.
For preparing Kheer:
- Pour the rest of the milk in another pan and give it a gentle boil.
- Simmer the milk for another 5 minutes before adding the khoya and the sugar to it.
- Chop the tender coconut flesh into very thin slices. The thinner the slices, the yummier it will get as the flesh will melt in the mouth.
- Add the coconut to the milk and let it simmer. I let it simmer for 5 minutes only because I like the kheer to be not so thick but you can let it simmer until you achieve the consistency you like.
- Refrigerate overnight and top it with some powdered roasted almonds while serving.
- This recipe can be refrigerated and consumed for 3-4 days.
- I have noticed that the dish gets better and better as you store it more and more in the fridge.
Like this Post? Please follow and like us for more 🙂